Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Container Gardening

Okay, trying to stretch myself and develop some talents. Plus, it's going to be one of my activities to share with the kids. We are going to grow some veggies and flowers in pots and containers this summer! I know, exciting.

I picked up a book a couple of years ago called You Grow Girl, by Gayla Trail. It was at Wal-Mart and just peeked my interest. I like books and magazines, so it was mostly a "this will be fun to flip through" kind of book versus a "I'd really love to do this."


So that's what I've done the last 2 years. Flipped through the book. I've lost it several times in my house, and I go back to flipping through it when I find it again. I think really it's the Lord saying to me "Here's something you can do, for your family and with your family." I'm obviously slow at getting those kind of hints.

So, I have discovered that Gayla (a Canadian, no doubt) has written a new book called Grow Great Grub. (Say that 10 times fast. No really. Try it. I'll wait... ... ...)

So I'm going to pick that one up. I've picked up seeds. I don't know if they are a stellar brand, but they had fun little cartoon characters on front that grabbed the kids interest, so why not? And if hoarding one more book isn't your thing, she's even got a blog. You Grow Girl. Go ahead, check it out.

We are going to start our seeds this week. I've just got to pick up the dirt. I was hoping for nicer weather to do this little activity outside, but no matter. It'll be something we can do together, and honestly, I'm hoping that we don't have to worry about weeds. I'm very good at pulling the plant and leaving the weed to flourish. So, the goal is to grow some plants, and figure out what they look like when I have enough green space and older kids to commit to putting them in the ground.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Foodie said...

Hi,
Good luck, I have an allotment an I am in my second year! last year i had some successes and failures so if you want any info just ask. And please stop by my blog